St Mary’s Auld Kirkyard, Banff

As a town, Banff’s origins are not fully understood yet, however a church dedicated to St Bey or St Columba is believed to have existed from the beginning of the 9th century on the site of St Mary’s Auld Kirkyard.

The earliest recorded mention of a parish church in Banff date from the time of Matthew, Bishop of Aberdeen (1178 -1199) who issued a charter in favour of the monks of Arbroath Monastery to minister to the needs of Banff, Inverboyndie, and Gamrie, and to be dedicated to St Mary. Pope Innocent III is recorded as confirming the Matthew’s grant in 1200.

The remains of the church still standing, dated from 1471, are known as the Banff Aisle and contains the tomb of Sir James Ogilvie, a former Provost of Banff, and not to be confused with the Provost Douglas whose sarcophagus was removed by the 2nd Earl Fife. In 1797 the main hall of the church was demolished and a new church built on High Street.

Similar Articles

  • Built by James Duff, the 2nd Earl Fife in 1790, the mausoleum was the last resting place of some 21 family members, several of whom were brought to the building after having been interred elsewhere. When the family donated the estate to the peoples of Banff and Macduff, the burial…
  • More of a fortified towerhouse than a castle per se, Eden Castle was built by the Banff branch of the Meldrum family in the mid 1500s as their family seat. It passed to the Leslie clan after the covenanter war, and in 1677 George Leslie is known to have repaired…
  • Founded in 1828 and now part of the Banff Preservation and Heritage Trust which also operates Banff Castle, the museum is a central part of the historical story of Banff. Cataloguing our past from the stone age through to the Victorian era, the museum hosts some wonderful exhibits of Celtic…
  • A large children's playground on the estate of Duff House, with swings, climbing structures, a flying fox, elevated walkways and plenty of space to run. The playground is is just 100 metres to the entrance of Duff House, is next to the Banff Rugby Club playing fields, and public toilets…

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Inchdrewer Castle

Just a few miles South-West of Banff, inland from Boyndie, Inchdrewer Castle, also known as Inch Druar in the late 17th century. The castle was

Read More »