During World War II, the airfield at Boyndie was built (1943) and hosted a large flight training school, until October 1944 when a squadron of Mosquito fighters, and then Beaufighter bombers, were deployed to attack German vessels in the North Sea.
2,136 pilots were trained at RAF Banff, and over 80 airmen shot down in one of the fiercest air theatres in the North European zone.
Photos of Memorial Plates
- Whilst located in Whitehills, the memorial is for the district of Boyndie and commemorates 36 killed in the first world war, and 15 from the second war. The obelisk is of white granite with four sides, and contains three panels in red sandstone on the sides and rear.
- A granite cenotaph with a Greek cross mounted on the front, and behind it, the names of 184 lost in the two world wars. The Banff memorial was opened in 1921 by HRH the Princess Royal. Names of the Banff Fallen
- Inaugurated in 1920 by the Countess of Seafield, the memorial overlooks Cullen Square. The structure is a domed octagonal sandstone building standing 3m tall. One of the 8 sides contains an entrance door, whilst the others bar one, have black marble panels with the names of 60 WWI and 27…
- Sited on the highest point in Macduff, the war memorial offers spectacular views.
- During the second world war, Duff House served as a prisoner of war interment camp for German submariners, who were kept inside the house, surrounded by guards who lived in Nissen huts outside. On the 22nd January 1940 tragedy struck as a German bomber plane returning from an aborted raid…