Mercat Cross, Banff

A gorgeous stone mast capped with a cross representing Christ flanked by two ladies, possibly representing the Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene, and above the centre, the acronym INRI.

Originally erected in the 1400s, probably on the site of the fountain across the square, and then moved to its current position in 1900 after an absence of 132 years when the cross had been kept on a dovecot in the estate of the Earl Fife at Duff House.

Today the original stone carved cross is housed in an environmentally protective case at Banff Museum, and the version we see on the plainstanes is a copy.

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Whitehills Marina

Similar ArticlesCullen HarbourBuilt comparatively recently, to a design by Thomas Telford in 1817, Cullen Harbour is best suited to boats with a smaller draft. Tidally

Read More »