Begun in 1940, Macduff Shipyards was the brainchild of John Watt of Gardenstown, building clinker lifeboats and then post-war transitioning to fishing vessels. The shipyard in Macduff is a major employer, and biggest user of Macduff harbour.
Today the company operates three shipyards for repair and new construction of fishing vessels, including Buckie and Fraserburgh, and is able to cater to boats upto 80m in length.
More information can be found on the Macduff Shipyards website.
- An art deco styled outdoor swimming complex designed and built between 1929 and 1931 and which quickly became a major attraction on the Moray coast. Just inside the Tarlair gate, visitors will see the Needle's Eye, an open cave structure. The building and pools are category A listed, though in…
- Built in 1903, the current lighthouse on the North pier is only the latest of several that have stood at the entrance to Macduff harbour. At 11m (36ft) tall, the lighthouse is one of the tallest on the Banffshire Coast, is a white conical structure, and the warning light flashes…
- Clifftop golf course in Macduff with views of Tarlair from the 3rd/13th holes.
- John Smeaton's 1779 seven arch stone bridge connecting Banff and Macduff.