George Duff Trafalgar Memorial

Similar Articles

  • Erected in 1878 in honour of Walter Biggar, a local herring exporter, the fountain stands on the original site of the Mercat Cross, at the bottom of Strait Path. Sculpted by John Rhind, the memorial was commissioned by Anne Duff, Biggar's wife, with four sides on which biblical references are…
  • During the second world war, Duff House served as a prisoner of war interment camp for German submariners, who were kept inside the house, surrounded by guards who lived in Nissen huts outside. On the 22nd January 1940 tragedy struck as a German bomber plane returning from an aborted raid…
  • A large children's playground on the estate of Duff House, with swings, climbing structures, a flying fox, elevated walkways and plenty of space to run. The playground is is just 100 metres to the entrance of Duff House, is next to the Banff Rugby Club playing fields, and public toilets…
  • Built by James Duff, the 2nd Earl Fife in 1790, the mausoleum was the last resting place of some 21 family members, several of whom were brought to the building after having been interred elsewhere. When the family donated the estate to the peoples of Banff and Macduff, the burial…
  • Tel: 01261 815750 9 Old Market PlaceBanff, Banffshire AB45 1GEScotland

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest