During the second world war, Duff House served as a prisoner of war interment camp for German submariners, who were kept inside the house, surrounded by guards who lived in Nissen huts outside.
On the 22nd January 1940 tragedy struck as a German bomber plane returning from an aborted raid over Inverness dropped its bombs on the house rather than carry them home.
Eight men perished that day, six German and two British. The memorial at Duff House lists the names of all eight in alphabetical order in testimony to the shared humanity of the deceased.
- During World War II, the airfield at Boyndie was built (1943) and hosted a large flight training school, until October 1944 when a squadron of Mosquito fighters, and then Beaufighter bombers, were deployed to attack German vessels in the North Sea. 2,136 pilots were trained at RAF Banff, and over…
- Sited on the highest point in Macduff, the war memorial offers spectacular views.
- A granite cenotaph with a Greek cross mounted on the front, and behind it, the names of 184 lost in the two world wars. The Banff memorial was opened in 1921 by HRH the Princess Royal. Names of the Banff Fallen
- Whilst located in Whitehills, the memorial is for the district of Boyndie and commemorates 36 killed in the first world war, and 15 from the second war. The obelisk is of white granite with four sides, and contains three panels in red sandstone on the sides and rear.