Duff Family Mausoleum

Built by James Duff, the 2nd Earl Fife in 1790, the mausoleum was the last resting place of some 21 family members, several of whom were brought to the building after having been interred elsewhere.

When the family donated the estate to the peoples of Banff and Macduff, the burial crypt beneath the floor of the mausoleum was filled with sand to prevent desecration so is no longer accessible.

At the rear of the building, there remains a sarcophagus of Provost Douglas of Banff whose tomb was removed from St Mary’s Kirkyard and passed off as the sarcophagus of Robert the Bruce by the 2nd Earl.

Similar Articles

  • A gorgeous Georgian manor house, home to a collection of the National Galleries of Scotland
  • With spectacular views over the Deveron River and Royal Burgh of Banff, the temple of Venus makes a lovely picnic spot.
  • A gorgeous stone mast capped with a cross representing Christ flanked by two ladies, possibly representing the Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene, and above the centre, the acronym INRI. Originally erected in the 1400s, probably on the site of the fountain across the square, and then moved to its current…
  • More of a fortified towerhouse than a castle per se, Eden Castle was built by the Banff branch of the Meldrum family in the mid 1500s as their family seat. It passed to the Leslie clan after the covenanter war, and in 1677 George Leslie is known to have repaired…
  • As a town, Banff's origins are not fully understood yet, however a church dedicated to St Bey or St Columba is believed to have existed from the beginning of the 9th century on the site of St Mary's Auld Kirkyard. The earliest recorded mention of a parish church in Banff…

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Whitehills Marina

Similar ArticlesCullen HarbourBuilt comparatively recently, to a design by Thomas Telford in 1817, Cullen Harbour is best suited to boats with a smaller draft. Tidally

Read More »