Cullen Old Railway Viaduct

Built in 1884 for a single line of railway on the Aberdeen to Elgin route, the viaduct is made up of several separate pieces, an 8-span, two 4-span segments, and a single span.

The railway was closed in 1968 as part of the Beeching cuts and the tracks removed, however, a public outcry prevented the viaducts being demolished and they are now part of the Moray coast walk and cycleway.

Similar Articles

  • Designed by Robert Adam in 1772, one of Scotland's finest architects, the bridge spans the burn of Letterfourie, and leads to a mansion house of the same name. One of Banffshire's most unusual bridges, it is constructed in two stages, a lower single arch span, topped by a set of…
  • John Smeaton's 1779 seven arch stone bridge connecting Banff and Macduff.
  • A delightful little pet cemetery overlooking the Moray Coast.
  • Inaugurated in 1920 by the Countess of Seafield, the memorial overlooks Cullen Square. The structure is a domed octagonal sandstone building standing 3m tall. One of the 8 sides contains an entrance door, whilst the others bar one, have black marble panels with the names of 60 WWI and 27…
  • Built comparatively recently, to a design by Thomas Telford in 1817, Cullen Harbour is best suited to boats with a smaller draft. Tidally influenced, Cullen's port presents wonderful photographic opportunities, with low tide completely emptying the basin. Boats berthed at the marina alternate from sitting directly in the sandy bottom,…

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Cullen Harbour

Built comparatively recently, to a design by Thomas Telford in 1817, Cullen Harbour is best suited to boats with a smaller draft. Tidally influenced, Cullen’s

Read More »