Biggar Fountain, Banff

Erected in 1878 in honour of Walter Biggar, a local herring exporter, the fountain stands on the original site of the Mercat Cross, at the bottom of Strait Path.

Sculpted by John Rhind, the memorial was commissioned by Anne Duff, Biggar’s wife, with four sides on which biblical references are found, on top of which are four short columns supporting a crown.

Similar Articles

  • A gorgeous stone mast capped with a cross representing Christ flanked by two ladies, possibly representing the Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene, and above the centre, the acronym INRI. Originally erected in the 1400s, probably on the site of the fountain across the square, and then moved to its current…
  • A large children's playground on the estate of Duff House, with swings, climbing structures, a flying fox, elevated walkways and plenty of space to run. The playground is is just 100 metres to the entrance of Duff House, is next to the Banff Rugby Club playing fields, and public toilets…
  • Founded in 1828 and now part of the Banff Preservation and Heritage Trust which also operates Banff Castle, the museum is a central part of the historical story of Banff. Cataloguing our past from the stone age through to the Victorian era, the museum hosts some wonderful exhibits of Celtic…
  • As a town, Banff's origins are not fully understood yet, however a church dedicated to St Bey or St Columba is believed to have existed from the beginning of the 9th century on the site of St Mary's Auld Kirkyard. The earliest recorded mention of a parish church in Banff…

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest