Built in 1625 for the fishing industry, today Banff harbour is operated by Aberdeenshire Council, and has capacity for 76 fully serviced berths, as well as being home to the Banff Sailing Club.
In historic times the mouth of the Deveron served as Banff’s harbour, however shifting sand banks had been a continual problem made worse for larger boats that needed to land cargo. The advent of the herring trade necessitated building a walled harbour and Guthrie’s Haven was chosen.
By 1770 the harbour was in desperate need of repairs, resulting in a complete redesign by John Smeaton, the architect of Banff Bridge. Between 1818 and 1823 Thomas Telford supervised the building of the lighthouse quay, which doubled the size of the harbour, as it remains today.
- Built comparatively recently, to a design by Thomas Telford in 1817, Cullen Harbour is best suited to boats with a smaller draft. Tidally influenced, Cullen's port presents wonderful photographic opportunities, with low tide completely emptying the basin. Boats berthed at the marina alternate from sitting directly in the sandy bottom,…
- Built in 1903, the current lighthouse on the North pier is only the latest of several that have stood at the entrance to Macduff harbour. At 11m (36ft) tall, the lighthouse is one of the tallest on the Banffshire Coast, is a white conical structure, and the warning light flashes…
- John Smeaton's 1779 seven arch stone bridge connecting Banff and Macduff.