Temple of Venus, Macduff

Designed by William Adam, the belvedere Temple of Venus offers commanding views of the Deveron River, bridge, Duff House and golf course, and the Royal Burgh of Banff.

Constructed in 1737, jointly with Duff House, the temple originally housed a statue of Venus but this was removed when the Duke of Fife gave the house and estate to the people of Banff and Macduff in 1906.

The Hill o Doune, on which the temple stands, has been a site of archaeological interest for centuries after the discovery of a bronze age urn in 1769. Locals also believe that the farm adjacent the temple was the site of a Pictish wooden palisade fort around 1,200 years ago.

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest