Eden Castle, Banff

More of a fortified towerhouse than a castle per se, Eden Castle was built by the Banff branch of the Meldrum family in the mid 1500s as their family seat.

It passed to the Leslie clan after the covenanter war, and in 1677 George Leslie is known to have repaired and expanded the property into a Z-shaped fortification with basement gun loops, a large banquet room, and family apartments in a second tower (long since demolished).

In the early 1700s, the Duff family took ownership, though it is thought they only used Eden castle as a country residence, and when Duff House was constructed, William Duff had much of the stonework removed for his new estate..

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest