Duff Family Mausoleum

Built by James Duff, the 2nd Earl Fife in 1790, the mausoleum was the last resting place of some 21 family members, several of whom were brought to the building after having been interred elsewhere.

When the family donated the estate to the peoples of Banff and Macduff, the burial crypt beneath the floor of the mausoleum was filled with sand to prevent desecration so is no longer accessible.

At the rear of the building, there remains a sarcophagus of Provost Douglas of Banff whose tomb was removed from St Mary’s Kirkyard and passed off as the sarcophagus of Robert the Bruce by the 2nd Earl.

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest