Turra Coo, Turriff

Situated on Coo Corner, officially the intersection of Main and High Streets, the bronze statue of an Ayrshire-Shorthorn milking cow, that caused a riot as the government of the day (1913) had seized the cow for arrears of national insurance contributions by the cow’s owner, Robert Paterson. Local farmers refusing to allow the cow to […]

Duff House Bombing Memorial, Banff

During the second world war, Duff House served as a prisoner of war interment camp for German submariners, who were kept inside the house, surrounded by guards who lived in Nissen huts outside. On the 22nd January 1940 tragedy struck as a German bomber plane returning from an aborted raid over Inverness dropped its bombs […]

Haddo House, Methlick

A delightful Georgian stately mansion designed in 1732 by William Adam for the Gordon’s of Aberdeen. The interior has been redecorated and is today more properly Victorian. Managed by the National Trust for Scotland, the house and grounds are now a major visitor attraction with a large collection of art and period furniture, as well […]

Macduff Shipyards

Begun in 1940, Macduff Shipyards was the brainchild of John Watt of Gardenstown, building clinker lifeboats and then post-war transitioning to fishing vessels. The shipyard in Macduff is a major employer, and biggest user of Macduff harbour. Today the company operates three shipyards for repair and new construction of fishing vessels, including Buckie and Fraserburgh, […]

St Mary’s Auld Kirkyard, Banff

As a town, Banff’s origins are not fully understood yet, however a church dedicated to St Bey or St Columba is believed to have existed from the beginning of the 9th century on the site of St Mary’s Auld Kirkyard. The earliest recorded mention of a parish church in Banff date from the time of […]

Fordyce Joiner’s Workshop Visitor Centre

Delightful museum of joinery and workshop for craftsman, with a lovely wee garden overlooking the Burn of Fordyce. Rural carpentry has been extremely important to farmers, dairies, distillers, and the entire economy of small towns in Scotland. The Fordyce Joiner’s Workshop displays a selection of tools used in the area, along with items made. Audio-visual […]

Fordyce Castle

Constructed in 1592 by a Provost of Aberdeen, Thomas Menzies of Kirkbill Durn, the castle still looks as impressive as it might have when built. Over the years additional wings have been added, and whilst small, the castle definitely stands out located in the centre of the village. Fordyce Castle is not one of the […]

Whitehills Lighthouse

Dating from 1900, the lighthouse sits at the end of the pier, at the entrance to the harbour. From the seaward side the lighthouse appears to be very tall, which is deceptive given that the harbour wall has been painted white under the light. Still functioning, Whitehills is an essential light along the coast with […]