Biggar Fountain, Banff

Erected in 1878 in honour of Walter Biggar, a local herring exporter, the fountain stands on the original site of the Mercat Cross, at the bottom of Strait Path.

Sculpted by John Rhind, the memorial was commissioned by Anne Duff, Biggar’s wife, with four sides on which biblical references are found, on top of which are four short columns supporting a crown.

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest