Founded in 1828 and now part of the Banff Preservation and Heritage Trust which also operates Banff Castle, the museum is a central part of the historical story of Banff.
Cataloguing our past from the stone age through to the Victorian era, the museum hosts some wonderful exhibits of Celtic Beaker Culture, the Roman era, and medieval items.
Highlights on display are a replica of the Pictish carnyx found in Banffshire, the only one of its kind in Britain, and Banff’s medieval market cross stone originally carved in the 1400s.
Banff museum is on High Street in the library building, originally constructed in 1902 with an endowment from the Carnegie Trust. An elevator is available to the left of the grand staircase for people with mobility difficulties.