Built in 1625 for the fishing industry, today Banff harbour is operated by Aberdeenshire Council, and has capacity for 76 fully serviced berths, as well as being home to the Banff Sailing Club.
In historic times the mouth of the Deveron served as Banff’s harbour, however shifting sand banks had been a continual problem made worse for larger boats that needed to land cargo. The advent of the herring trade necessitated building a walled harbour and Guthrie’s Haven was chosen.
By 1770 the harbour was in desperate need of repairs, resulting in a complete redesign by John Smeaton, the architect of Banff Bridge. Between 1818 and 1823 Thomas Telford supervised the building of the lighthouse quay, which doubled the size of the harbour, as it remains today.